Thursday, January 22, 2009

Schwalbe Marathon XR Tyres



Last week I purchased a pair of Schwalbe Marathon XR 40mm (622-42) tyres for my LHT. The Marathon Pluses aren't worn out yet, but i'll keep them as spares. i wanted something a bit wider, and better for offroad use for my two week tour from Sydney to Melbourne in late February (more to come on that later).

The XRs are lighter than the Pluses, and are also foldable. Rolling resistance is about the same, but the XRs are slightly quicker off the mark. The XRs are more comfortable, probably because of the extra 5mm thickness.

Offroad is where the XRs shine. The handle gravel and dirt roads great. Much better than the pluses (which aren't that bad). I found the XRs give a lot more stability than the pluses on sandy trails, dirt, and grass.

The pluses are great tyres, but given the choice, I'd go with XRs if doing any offroad at all. On the road, the XRs are slightly noisier, but handle just as well as the pluses.

Keep in mind that the XRs are a little pricier, but apparantely they last longer. The Pluses have done over 6,500kms, and the rear is only half worn, and the front one third worn. If the XRs do better than that, I'll be very impressed!

4 comments:

  1. Yes. I definitely agree that the XRs are lighter than the Pluses, and are also fold-able.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that is much lighter, good choice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. This is great! I agree in your statement.. XRs are excellent choice... Anyway, thanks for sharing and I definitely visit here more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow very interesting and nice article...
    Thank you for posting such a useful, impressive and a wicked article./Wow.. looking good!

    Tires Florida

    ReplyDelete

Columbus SLX "star profile" racing bicycle.

Columbus SLX "star profile" racing bicycle.
A work of art :)

Blogs I read...

Followers